Thursday, March 29, 2012

St. Pattys Day (Part 2)

Baking has to be my downfall. I will always blame my love of baking (and therefore having the sweets in the house) for my sweet tooth. Anyway, holidays give me an excuse to try new recipes that I otherwise wouldn't, since the amount they make is usually WAY too much for us to eat alone. Take this cake for example (don't mind the badly made shamrock on top. I'm not much for freehanding things)


This is a Double Layer Green Velvet Cheesecake Cake.

Yes. Thats right.

Cheesecake. Cake.



No, that isn't frosting between the layers. It's a cheesecake.

I found the recipe HERE from RecipeGirl. Mine looks nowhere near as perfect as hers, and I accidentally cooked my cheesecake at 375 instead of 325, so it was a little overcooked(understatement) and had to be trimmed down, but it was DELICOUS just the same.

Although it was delicious and everyone loved it, I have to say that my favorite part of it was the frosting. It was a cinch to make and was AMAZING. It will now be my go-to cream cheese frosting recipe.


The second dessert I made were Oreo Balls.

Honestly, I love these things.

 I made peppermint ones using candy cane bits for Christmas time and they were out of this world, so when I saw these from Bakerella I knew what I would be making as my second dessert.

 

Mine, again, are not nearly as lovely as the original, but they were again DELICIOUS. They are very addicting too, so be sure to watch your "in moderation" intake on these.

Things I learned while making Oreo Balls:
1) Candy melts hate me and will not melt properly in a metal bowl placed in a pan of hot water on the stove.
2) You cannot add liquid food coloring to white bakers chocolate (I couldn't find green candy melts!), especially when it's already not cooperating with you (see Lesson #1 for non-cooperation reason)
3) When you DO add food coloring to white bakers chocolate and it makes it all lumpy, do NOT try to add cream, thinking that it will help smooth it out. It doesn't.
4) Stop fighting with the chocolate at 12:30 at night. Put the balls in the fridge, have your hubby run to the market the next morning for fresh, semi-sweet bakers chocolate, and go for the good ol' intervals in the microwave to melt it. Works every time.

And for a little bit of extra, non-food related fun, I did my nails for St. Patricks Day.



Unfortunately, I did them too early and half of it had chipped off (and then been picked off by me, since I can't stand chipped polish) by the time the 17th actually rolled around.

Hope you all had a safe and happy holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment